Verify your site with Google - Takeaway Website
Before you submit your website to Google, they will need to know that the website actually belong to you. If you have Takeaway Website Pro you can verify with Google in a few simple steps using the SiteBoost tools (click on 'Extras' from the Main Options, then 'SiteBoost', followed by 'Search Engines' and 'Verify with Google') or click here for further instructions.
If, however, you have Beginner or Standard you will need to follow the instructions below:
You will need to verify your site with Google by uploading a HTML file using the following steps:
1. Sign into Google Webmaster Tools with your Google Account - if you don't have one it's free to set up
2. Click 'Verify' next to the relevant site
3. In the 'Choose verification method' list, select 'Upload a HTML file' and follow the steps on your screen
4. Using any text editor, create the file that Google request and make sure to save it with the exact name they ask for; for example, google11e5844324b7354e.html. The filename is case-sensitive and must have an '.html' extension. The file itself can be empty - Google doesn't read the content of the file, but only check to see that it exists in the specified location. Upload the file to your Takeaway Website account in the wwwroot folder
5. When using FTP we recommend that you use Filezilla, which is available to download for free from www.sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla.
Enter the FTP details as follows:
FTP SERVER: www.yourdomain.com (replace 'yourdomain.com' with your website name)
USER NAME: yourdomain.com (replace 'yourdomain.com' with your website name) PASSWORD: your original Takeaway Website activation code in UPPER case
PLEASE NOTE: If you have a 'Passive Transfer' setting in your FTP software, make sure it is set to 'disabled'. To do this, take the following steps:
- Open Filezilla
- Click 'Edit', then 'Settings'
- Under 'Connection' click 'FTP'
- Change the transfer mode to 'Active' and click 'OK'
When FTPing, you must save the Google file in the “WWWROOT” folder.
PLEASE NOTE: Any pages uploaded through FTP are not manageable through the Takeaway Website members login.
Once you have uploaded the file, go to back to your Webmaster Tools account in Google and click the 'Verify' button. Google will verify that the file exists in the specified location - if they can't access it, they will give you information about the error encountered. Once this problem is resolved, try to verify your site again.